> On Apr 24, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Teo En Ming <teo.en.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64 as a virtual machine/guest
> operating system under Oracle VM Virtualbox 4.3.10. My host operating
> system is Windows 8.1 64-bit.
>
> I have just installed X server, gnome, and gdm with the following commands:
>
> # pkg install xorg
>
> # pkg install gnome2
>
> # pkg install nano
>
> # nano /etc/fstab
>
> ======================================
>
> proc           /proc       procfs  rw  0   0
>
> # nano /etc/rc.conf
>
> =======================================
>
> gdm_enable="YES"
> gnome_enable="YES"
>
> The following command is to allow startx to be executed.
>

> *# echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc*
>

> *To allow regular user to su to root,**# pw groupmod wheel -m teo-en-ming*

> I can still type in my password on the gdm login prompt. But after
> logging into the GNOME Desktop Environment, I cannot type anything
> with my keyboard! No characters appear on the screen. I can only use
> my mouse. I tried to reboot but every time the system boots into gdm.
> I also tried to enter Single User Mode, but I can't modify
> /etc/rc.conf as the root filesystem is mounted read only. What can I
> do?
>
> I am looking forward to your reply.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Teo En Ming

You need to enable hald and dbus in /etc/rc.conf  , then either reboot the vm
or drop out of gdm start the services and restart gdm . You can also disable
hal , there are some good examples on the FreeBSD wiki , also check out the
links below .

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

---