Bruce Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Yes.  It bloats the kernel and only fixed one cause of the problem.
>>
>>What are the others..?
>
>The only one I can find now is naming the debugging kernel with a name
>of different length.

Also, if your kernel was previously version 9 (or 99 or 999 or ...),
the incremented version number will increase the length of the version
string in vers.c.

Someone with some free time on their hands might like to check thru
the egcs code to see if enabling debug can affect the code generation.
A quick check suggests that the relevant globals are write_symbols,
use_gnu_debug_info_extensions and debug_info_level.  Generating SDB
debugging information (for COFF) definitely can change code alignment,
but working out if generating DBX debugging information has any effect
on the generated code would take more time than I can justify right
now.

Peter