On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:

# The reason I didn't move the old ids wholesale is that the old system
# matched against the vendor id (which is bogus for multifunction cards).
# The new system matches with the logical device id which is often different
# from the vendor id. Some simple single function cards use the same id for
# both (as yours does) but I can't tell this without seeing the pnpinfo
# output.

For others who are interested here's the old list.  I can vouche
for the USR3031.  If anyone else has one of the others or a PNP
modem/sio card not listed here, can you send me the output of
pnpinfo?  I'll compile the list for my commit and forward it to
you Doug if you'd like.

        { 0x5015f435, "MOT1550"},
        { 0x8113b04e, "Supra1381"},
        { 0x9012b04e, "Supra1290"},
        { 0x7121b04e, "SupraExpress 56i Sp"},
        { 0x11007256, "USR0011"},
        { 0x30207256, "USR2030"},
        { 0x31307256, "USR3031"},
        { 0x90307256, "USR3090"},
        { 0x0100440e, "Cardinal MVP288IV"},

# >
# > Now that we can't use the pnp command from 'boot -c', what
# > has (if anything) replaced it?  I seem to be remember this
# > being discussed recently but I'll be darned if I can find
# > it in the mailing list archives.
#
# The pnp command should no longer be needed (crossed fingers) since the new
# code automatically detects devices and assigns resources to them.

So what happens if someone wants to "wire" down a device?  It
was no big deal for me that it used to be sio1 and is now sio4,
but one should be able to imagine a scenario (just like with
SCSI disks?) that you'd need to be explicit about what resources
and device number the card gets.  Of course I could be dead wrong
too. :-)

-steve