Matthew Dillon wrote:

[..]
>     One thing of interest to note, especially as it relates to the
>     performance degredation with a larger number of files, is that
>     'systat -vm 1' reports an approximately 50% name-cache hit no
>     matter what postmark is doing.  In otherwords, postmark is creating
>     a new file (namecache miss), opening it (namecache hit), doing some
>     I/O, and then closing it.

4.0-CURRENT (SMP on an ASUS P2B-DS with two CPU's installed; BIOS revision
1008.A, running `systat -vm 1' gives the normal display but without any
numbers filled in, then switches over to an empty screen that says:

          The alternate system clock has died!
          Reverting to ``pigs'' display.

Which also doesn't work (I'm sure innd would be considered a CPU and
memory hog but nothing is displayed).  top is also broken (0% everywhere).
Apparently this can be fixed by adding `device apm0 at nexus? flags
0x0020' to the kernel config file, but the last time I tried that the
machine would panic while booting.  Has this been fixed since?

>     In real-life... for example, with a mail or web server, the namecache
>     tends to be somewhat more effective then 50%.  The web servers at BEST
>     generally had a 95%+ name cache hit rate.  The name cache misses are
>     what are causing the lion's share of the directory inefficiencies.

100% on another news server (3.2-STABLE, INN 2.2 with CNFS) :-) (only
watched it for a few moments though, lowest was 97.)

Thanks,

        -- Niels.