On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 09:13:54PM -0500, Alain Magloire wrote:
> Of course, you can.  But I will join my voice to Paul and ask you not to.
> This behaviour was a long standing request/grip where for example one
> would do
>
> grep pattern *
>
> and have the terminal going bananas, if pattern was detected in binary

What I was proposing to change was that binary files were ignored when
"-l" was in affect.  I was also implying that binary files should be
silently ignored unless one uses the 2.3 "-a" flag.

> I don't follow your logic for '-l'.  whether it is grep-2.0 or grep-2.3
> They all show the filename containing a matching pattern.

FreeBSD's previous grep had a "-a" flag to ignore binary files.  Thus I'm
trying to find a replacement for the old ``grep -al'' usage.

> In the coming 2.4, if this is such problem for you, there is en environ
> variable, that will restore the 2.0 behaviour(everything is text)

Not quite what I'm looking for.  I want a silent ignore of binary files.
I think it should take an option to not ignore binary files.  Add 2.3's
"-a" if you *really* want full greping of binary files.

--
-- David    ([EMAIL PROTECTED])