Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:08:24 -0800
   From: "David O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   I want a silent ignore of binary files.

It'd be reasonable to add an option to do this, after the feature
freeze is over and 2.4 comes out.

   I think it should take an option to not ignore binary files.

I disagree.  If I type `grep pattern file' and get no output, then I
should be able to conclude that there are no instances of `pattern' in
`file'.  But under your proposal, I wouldn't be able to conclude that:
all I would know is that either the file contained no instances, or
the file was binary.  This is confusing and is less useful in practice
than grep 2.3's behavior.