> The same thing is about to apply to the woxware sound code, we have a
> new shiny system that works and is much better designed...

Actually, I'm sad to say that our shiny new sound system does *not*
work for some of the most popular audio chipsets on the market today
(where the older "luigi" sound system did support them) and this is a
matter of significant concern to some folks, myself included.

We're getting a larger population of people who expect FreeBSD to
simply continue to work from release to release, and this is not an
unreasonable expectation when you think about it.  Unfortunately, when
we remove support for a piece of hardware which was formerly supported
(the aic driver being a good example) and this particular hardware
happens to be in those people's machines, well, it's easy to see where
"continuing to work" is no longer a claim we can make for FreeBSD's
progress in such cases.

When this is also for some really old and grotty piece of hardware,
like floppy tape drives, and nobody is interested in actively
maintaining the driver for it, then that's a reasonably justifable
argument for taking that kind of public relations trade-off.  When the
hardware in question is something that's currently being sold on the
open market and is still quite popular, like the SB16 PCI or Vibra16X
on-board audio chipset, then killing off support for it is quite
another thing.  Both of those device currently refuse to work in any
of my -current test boxes and perhaps you should have chosen a better
example in making your argument. :-)

- Jordan