In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Jeremy writes
:
>On 1999-Dec-16 07:48:48 +1100, Poul-Henning Kamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>And we don't really need YAD when we have init hanging around doing
>>nothing for its keep anyway...
>
>I beg to differ.  To quote init(8):
>     The role of init is so critical that if it dies, the system will reboot
>     itself automatically.  If, at bootstrap time, the init process cannot be
>     located, the system will panic with the message ``panic: init died
>     (signal %d, exit %d)''.
>
>This suggests that init needs to be very robust - which generally
>translates to `small and well audited'.  Non-core functionality
>(which IMHO includes devd) really belongs in another process.

Well, there are a lot of chicken & eggs issues with devd, which
may skew that a bit, but lets examine that when we get there.

>>and at the same time I wouldn't mind if init were taught to keep
>>important programs running, things like sshd, inetd, syslogd and
>>similar should be restarted if they die.
>
>It can do that now.  Add the following lines to /etc/ttys:
>
>sshd   "/usr/local/sbin/sshd" none on
>inetd  "/usr/sbin/inetd -Ww" none on
>syslogd        "/usr/sbin/syslogd" none on
>
>(This ability has always been present, but is now documented).

Yes, but apart from the highly unintuitive name "/etc/ttys" any
process which involves edititing a file and signalling a process
has a big potential for races.

I would prefer if the lines could be added to /etc/ttys somewhat
like:
        sshd "/usr/local/sbin/sshd" none ondemand

And then we could
        telinit -on sshd
        telinit -off sshd

or similar.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!