David Scheidt wrote:

> What's wrong with run with system V runlevels?  Other than it's system V and
> everything AT^HUSL did is evil, of course.

Well, the one danger is that we'd be slowly drifting away from
the classic BSD way of doing thigs.  Of course, the official BSD
is dead (right?).  But OTOH, we want to carry FreeBSD forward, so
if that means we have to incorporate some SysVisms, then so be
it.  After all, SysV borrowed some things from BSD.

The second question I have is, do we try to stay on par with what
Open/NetBSD are doing?  Should we stick together, synchronise our
efforts, and try to define what comprises "BSD"?  Or, do we let
the 3 BSDs diverge completely?

Well, if the 3 diverge too far (ex:  FreeBSD implements SysV
runlevels, OpenBSD does not or goes with an entirely different
system), them would it be fair to consider FreeBSD "BSD"?  The
advantage here is that FreeBSD would mature into it's own type of
UNIX with a BSD heritage.

- Donn