On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> On 10 Jan, Bruce Evans wrote:
>
> >> Better yet: DEBUG_FLAGS=-g
> >
> > Except it only supported in bsd.prog.mk and bsd.lib.mk, but not in
> > bsd.kmod.mk, kernel Makefiles, or if no bsd .mk files are included
> > A few verbose module makefiles add it explicitly.  You can also use
> > COPTS, but it is only supported in bsd.prog.mk, bsd.kmod.mk and kernel
> > Makefiles.
>
> Didnīt we have "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" as a kernel option to compile the
> kernel with debug information? What about "config -g MYKERNEL"?

DEBUG is a private variable in kernel Makefiles.  "config -g MYKERNEL"
is the only correct way to set it.  "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" is a hackish
way to set it.  It depends on knowing the the Makefiles' internals.

> Do we really need a global debug option which covers everything?

It's simpler to have the same global debug option for everything.

> If I read it correcly we have DEBUG_FLAGS for the userland (if it uses a
> bsd.{prog,lib}.mk) and DEBUG for the kernel (and COPTS for KLD's),
> right?

No.  DEBUG is quite different.

> So we only have to make the KLD's consistent to the kernel (or am
> I missing something):
>
> bsd.kmod.mk:
> ---snip---
> 92c92
> < CFLAGS+=      ${COPTS} -D_KERNEL ${CWARNFLAGS}
> ---
> > CFLAGS+=      ${DEBUG} -D_KERNEL ${CWARNFLAGS}
> ---snip---

This would break COPTS :-).  All places should use something more like:

CFLAGS+=        [-D_KERNEL] ${CWARNFLAGS} ${COPTS} ${DEBUG_FLAGS}

Bruce