On 11 Jan, Bruce Evans wrote:

>> Didnīt we have "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" as a kernel option to compile the
>> kernel with debug information? What about "config -g MYKERNEL"?
>
> DEBUG is a private variable in kernel Makefiles.  "config -g MYKERNEL"

If I set DEBUG in make.conf it should work, right? So what's private
about it?

> is the only correct way to set it.  "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" is a hackish
> way to set it.  It depends on knowing the the Makefiles' internals.
>
>> Do we really need a global debug option which covers everything?
>
> It's simpler to have the same global debug option for everything.

We have CFLAGS (userland) and COPTFLAGS (kernel) in make.conf, shouldnīt
we also have e.g. DEBUG_FLAGS and DEBUG_KERNEL (renamed DEBUG from
above)?
Together with CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS it would make more sense, IMO.
And what about those people who want to compile only the kernel and the
KLD's with debug information, but not the userland?

>> If I read it correcly we have DEBUG_FLAGS for the userland (if it uses a
>> bsd.{prog,lib}.mk) and DEBUG for the kernel (and COPTS for KLD's),
>> right?
>
> No.  DEBUG is quite different.

Sorry, but I didnīt get the point. Is it a semantic difference or a
technical one?

>> So we only have to make the KLD's consistent to the kernel (or am
>> I missing something):
>>
>> bsd.kmod.mk:
>> ---snip---
>> 92c92
>> < CFLAGS+=      ${COPTS} -D_KERNEL ${CWARNFLAGS}
>> ---
>> > CFLAGS+=      ${DEBUG} -D_KERNEL ${CWARNFLAGS}
>> ---snip---
>
> This would break COPTS :-).  All places should use something more like:
>
> CFLAGS+=      [-D_KERNEL] ${CWARNFLAGS} ${COPTS} ${DEBUG_FLAGS}

What about renaming "DEBUG" in the kernel makefile to DEBUG_KERNEL and
use DEBUG_KERNEL instead of DEBUG_FLAGS in bsd.kmod.mk?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              Happy new year and no Y2K-crash to everyone.

http://www.Leidinger.net                  Alexander+Home @ Leidinger.net
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E