At 2:49 PM -0800 1/11/00, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > >Another thing that ``works for me''.  Only make it ki, mi, and gi
> > >to fit with the new binary mode international appreviation standards,
> > >unless of cource you use base 10 divisors.
> >
> > Why not KB, MB or GB, since that's what you're actually reporting?
>
>Because KB MB and GB mean different things than KiB MiB and GiB.
>
>K = 10^3, Ki = 2^10
>M = 10^6  Mi = 2^20
>G = 10^9  Gi = 2^30

personally, I'd just as soon use K, M, and G and have it mean
the base-10 values.  If I'm looking at a decimal number for one
file (because it's small enough), I don't want a base-2 version
of the similar number for some other (larger) file in the same
listing.

(ie, whatever letters you use, please just divide the values
by 1000 instead of 1024).

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer          or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute