_DISCLAIMER_
i just subscribed to current, and have been running -current for about a
week now.
i read the -current mailing list charter and i believe i am within its
outlines here.
if not... a gentle admonition from someone, and i will happily try other
avenues for help.
just didn't know if perhaps my problem might indicate something with the
4.0 source (or the new ad* and acd* convention for naming ide
disks)??????
if this is an inappropriate posting to -current... my apologies for the
error.

Problem-->

i just upgraded my 3.4 SMP system to 4.0-current last week. b4, the
upgrade, the cdrom worked fine.

i tried mounting a cdrom today, (first time since the 4.0 upgrade) and i

get:

 [root@sabre conf]# mount_cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0c /cdrom
  mount_cd9660: Device not configured

in my kernel config file i have:

options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660
required

my dmesg shows:

 ad0: 6149MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL CX6.4A> [13328/15/63] at ata0-master
using UDMA33
 ad2: 3079MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL EX3.2A> [6256/16/63] at ata1-master using

UDMA33
 acd0: CDROM <CD-ROM 40X/AKU> at ata1-slave using PIO4

my /dev/shows:

 [root@sabre /dev]# ls acd*
 acd0a   acd0c

any ideas/thoughts on what i'm doing wrong???