On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:40:38 EST, Brian Feldman wrote:
> :
> :> I say this because I am down to ~2.5MB/s on each hard drive, a MB or
> :> so decrease; I also seem to be reading (bs=512k) from the CD uncooked
> :...
> :
> :Since I rebuilt world shortly after Matt's VM surgery started, I've also
> :noticed this -- lower apparent transfer rates from /dev/zero to disk,
> :higher CPU usage during such transfers.
> :
> :I'm _not_ saying it's Matt's stuff that's done this, it's just that that
> :was the stuff I _noticed_ happening in commit mail. I think I saw
> :something happening to wd.c recently as well, so I _definitely_ am not
> :going on record as laying blame.
> :
> :Just some confirmation. :-)
> :
> :Ciao,
> :Sheldon.
>
>     Hmm, interesting.  A dd copy doesn't touch on the main of what I did,
>     but I do have a (bad) hack in there to handle a case that John brought
>     up in regards to the inactive page queue getting overloaded with
>     clean meta-data.  It might be interesting to turn that off and see if
>     your transfer rates improve.
>
>     You can turn off the hack by commenting out the case that activates
>     it:  Add the #if/#endif and split the open brace out from the else,
>     as shown.
>
>     I would like to know if your transfer rate improves or not, and by
>     how much.
>

>         /*
>          * Figure out what to do with dirty pages when they are encountered.
>          * Assume that 1/3 of the pages on the inactive list are clean.  If
>          * we think we can reach our target, disable laundering (do not
>          * clean any dirty pages).  If we miss the target we will loop back
>          * up and do a laundering run.
>          */
>
> #if 0
>         if (cnt.v_inactive_count / 3 > page_shortage) {
>                 maxlaunder = 0;
>                 launder_loop = 0;
>         } else
> #endif
>       {
>                 maxlaunder =
>                     (cnt.v_inactive_target > max_page_launder) ?
>                     max_page_launder : cnt.v_inactive_target;
>                 launder_loop = 1;
>         }
>

>                                       -Matt
>                                       Matthew Dillon
>                                       <dil...@backplane.com>

I'd rather use if (0 && cnt.v_inactive_count / 3 > page_shortage) {. I'm
trying it out now, here's the "before":

IOZONE performance measurements:
        2972048 bytes/second for writing the file
        2962863 bytes/second for reading the file

 Brian Feldman                                    _ __  ___ ___ ___
 gr...@unixhelp.org                           _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
             http://www.freebsd.org/     _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/