On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <199901260451.uaa23...@bubba.whistle.com>, Archie Cobbs writes:
> >Maxim Sobolev writes:
> >> Can you point all people (and me of course) who want to test DEVFS to some
> >> common information about DEVFS (usage, possible advantages/disadvantages
> >> etc.
> >> I think some FAQ or so will be nice. It's really will help us to go further
> >> with this issue.
> >
> >I agree.. and I've bugged Julian to put something together...
> >
> >Basically, there are a few things that need to be done to get DEVFS
> >into the 'mainstream'... and this includes SLICE.
>
> No, it doesn't have to be SLICE.  In particular, if we're going the
> SLICE way, it should be done >right<, and Julians SLICE code didn't
> do that. (I know, I spent close to 6 months prototyping the concept
> and julian had my code to work from).

Wouldn't it be possible to fit this into the device system?  If we treat
disks as devices and partition types as drivers, most of the boring work
of matching drivers to devices and keeping lists and trees of objects will
happen automatically.

--
Doug Rabson                             Mail:  d...@nlsystems.com
Nonlinear Systems Ltd.                  Phone: +44 181 442 9037