On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> What do you think ? Or what are your experiences ?

It has caused a lot of grief with my recent install of
3.0-19990205, but I gather I'm supposed to install something
later before complaining.

The main annoyance has been that running /stand/sysinstall after
installation diligently clobbered settings in
rc.conf.site...things like default_route, moused_enable, and
network_interfaces to name a few of the more frustrating ones.

Hopefully that is now fixed.

As for for all the debate on the name, if it is supposed to be an
untouchable file, the name of rc.conf has GOT to change.
rc.defaults, rc.conf.defaults, rc.param or some such, with
rc.conf being the one you normally edit and rc.conf.local being
sourced for people who need it for some reason.

-john