> Because rc.conf contains configuration variables, whereas rc contains
> commands to execute at boot time.

Then I would suggest renaming rc.conf to be rc.vars or rc.config-vars
or something more appropriate than rc.conf, which like all the other
*.conf files is intended for local editing and maintainence.

I do like the local overriding feature though.  Yesterday I took out
all my local rc.conf mods into rc.conf.local and copied in the default
/usr/src/etc/rc.conf to /etc.  The local mods are much smaller and much
more obvious as to what is different from the default setup.

        -- Parag Patel