In article <19990209074440.15845.qmail.kithrup.freebsd.curr...@rucus.ru.ac.za>
you write:
>Is DHCP core functionality?

As much as an editor and PPP are, yes -- without it, some people simply
*cannot* get on the net.

>Anyone putting any DHCP functionality in should look
>very seriously at any possibilities of combining the functionality,
>rather than creating what amounts to a degree of redundancy.

I think isc-dhcp can do both; however, it may only be the server that has that
functionality.

>I personally would prefer to see DHCP left a port.

How would someone on a network and without a CD-ROM install it?  (I recently
had the joy of doing this, incidently... I ended up unplugging one of the
other computers and using is IP address until the installation was complete.)

That, I believe, is the reason that it's time to consider putting it in.
(I've only used the ISC code, and, for several reasons, am biased in its
favour, but I don't think it really matters.)