On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Yes, but considering the low age of the interface, the fact that it
> was made so narrow-scope is a disgrace.

True.  It appears that it was a fairly focused solution for a very
specific case of problem.  (as you said)

> Try to implement a E1 line with the full complement of options,
> including international bits and crc4 and what have you :-(

True, but try restricting yourself to using only the permutations
available with IFF_LINK[0-2].

I'm sure that your E1 line driver will have a subset of options that are
valid in the context if ifconfig.  Other options are probably not
necessary to present to the user via ifconfig and should be presented via
some other means (sysctl?).

> It should have been done with a simple ascii string instead.  The
> drivers are much better at chewing on it than the "generic" code,
> it would be simpler to understand, simpler to implement, you wouldn't
> need to rebuild ifconfig all the time and it would be vastly more
> flexible.

Indeed.  My initial reply was rebuting your implied 'if_media sucks so we
shouldn't attempt to convert the legacy code that uses IFF_LINK[0-2] to
if_media'.  While your are correct in your analysis of the shortcomings of
if_media, shooting down this idea on those merits is not productive.

Until a better solution for if_media is available, the if_media code does
work and is a viable solution for a fairly specific class of problems.

IFF_LINK[0-2] is even more broken than if_media.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| win...@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |