I was not responding to this for a while because Poul quite correctly
thwapped me for not being on point, but I couldn't let this go.

> The point should be clear, using proper string identifiers would
> make your program easier to understand and modify, as well as
> allow for greater extensibility.

By this measure, nearly all of the code available to the  WindowsNT
DDK is "easier to understand and modify" as well as allow[ing] for greater
flexibility".

My only point here is that both numbers and strings are identifiers, and
it is not always obvious but it *is* context (observer context) sensitive
as which is, in fact, easier to use or manipulate or remember.

-matt