Jacques Vidrine wrote:

> Maintainers of these ports would appreciate PRs if the dependencies
> are broken. The ports infrastructure has the mechanisms necessary to
> handle these dependencies, but the port maintainer may not catch
> every dependency.

I am not saying the dependencies are broken.  I'm just lamenting the
general problem that it's difficult to upgrade a port that depends on
a lot of things.  It's a general structural problem, and I don't know
how to fix it.

Say you've got a bunch of ports that all depend on the same shared
library -- maybe libjpeg or libXpm.  You've had them installed for
a few months, and they all work fine.  Now you decide to upgrade
one of them, the "foo" port.  Oops, it requires a newer version of
libjpeg.  You have to remove the old libjpeg so that the newer one
can be installed without a lot of complaints.  Oops, a bunch of other
ports used the old libjpeg.  Now you have to upgrade those ports too.
Oops, some of those ports depend on libXpm, and a new version of it is
needed now.  Oops, now some other ports that used the old libXpm need
to be upgraded.

At this point, you throw up your hands, pkg_delete -f everything,
and reinstall all your ports from scratch.  And the next time you're
tempted to upgrade a port, you decide it would be easier to just buy
a new machine. :-)

John
---
  John Polstra                                               j...@polstra.com
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong