On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <199904132245.saa93...@misha.cisco.com>, Mikhail Teterin writes:
> >Poul-Henning Kamp once wrote:
>
> >Well, this is just an implementation detail, is not it? I don't
> >mean to critisize, or anything, but such thing as "no available
> >memory" is a fairly intuitive... Coming down, again, the malloc
> >should return a usable memory if available and NULL if it's not.
> >Is not this a "natural" semantics? Why can a program die because
> >_another_ program ate up all the rest of the memory?
>
> You know, this strikes me about as productive a discussion as the
> "split infinitive should be outlawed by style(9)" we have every
> so often.
>
> Very very fundamental to UNIX philosophy is the maxim that it is
> roots responsibility to configure the system right.
>
> FreeBSD will defend itself against misconfigurations as best it
> can, this includes shooting processes down when things get too
> squeezy.
>
> Think of it as self-defence.
>
> The real problem is that you system isn't configured for what you
> use it for.

Fine. Let's have a kernel option for it, because a LOT of us want the
old functionality back, and yes it _WAS_ there before.

> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> p...@freebsd.org               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 gr...@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \__ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___/___/___/