In message <pine.lnx.4.04.9905011928550.735-100...@feral.com> Matthew Jacob
writes:
: Oh, very well, I'll have to say Perforce isn't that bad- it's just that it
: doesn't have a snappy set of tcl/tk GUI tools that allow you look at whole
: branch and revision histories..

I've seen many Tk tools that do this.  There is also a web interface
as well.

: It doesn't have a 3-way filemerge tool (I
: still fire up teamware (what NSElite became) to do heavy merging and use
: the automerge feature)...

That is true.

: Perforce *does* have the disparate release
: stream feature, but I have found it somewhat difficult to use. Perhaps if
: I'd actually had the depot locally I'd feel more at home with it....

Once you get use to it, it is much easier to use than CVS.

I have my own branch for kernel changes that I'm in the middle of, and
merging them is as simple as

        p4 integrate newsrc/sys/... src/sys/...
        p4 resolve

And I can also merge the changes to my src/sys/... tree back into
newsrc/sys/... at any time with

        p4 integrate src/sys/... newsrc/sys/...
        p4 resolve

I'd go insane without it.  Or more likely people at work would be more
upset with my tendancy to checkin early and often to make sure all the
places I work on stuff are in sync.

Warner