As Matthew Dillon wrote ...
> :etc
> :
> :This was during a cp -R /* /mnt where /mnt is a SCSI disk I'm testing.
> :Both disks are on seperate SCSI buses. Is this because the cp -R
> :tries to copy /proc ??
> :
> :|   / o / /  _        Arnhem, The Netherlands        - Powered by FreeBSD -
> :|/|/ / / /( (_) Bulte         WWW  : http://www.tcja.nl
> http://www.freebsd.org
>
>     It seems to me that a cp command like is probably trying to
>     cp -R /mnt to /mnt ... /* will include /mnt, right?  I'm not
>     sure what would be causing the errors, though, unless the cp
>     is recursing endlessly due to the cp of /mnt on top of /mnt
>     and running the filesystem out of space...

In the end that happens, but not after a couple of seconds already.
I'm quite sure it is the copying of /proc that triggers the messages.
The VT_PROCFS like in
May 28 10:04:15 p100 /kernel: tag VT_PROCFS, type 6, pid 193, mode 180,
flags 0
also seems to indicate this.

If I do: cd / ; find . -fstype ufs -print | cpio -pdum /mnt it works
just fine without messages (of course until /mnt becomes full like you
mention above).

I've never seen this procfs behaviour before BTW.