On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 11:28:13AM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
> > It takes no more than a well-designed operating system service to
> > ensure that badly written programs don't fail to release resources
> > when they crash.
>
> We didn't design that particular service.  That's why it's called
> System V shared memory.

I did mean to imply that it was poorly designed, but not that it was
designed by FreeBSD's designers.

> Also, it's persistent for legitimate design reasons, just like files
> are.  Applications need to clean up after themselves.

You can have many more than 32 files.  Files are (usually)
well-organized and have names, so you can wipe out your web browser's
cache or lock file relatively easily.  Files take up a negligible
fraction of the available file space.

SysV shared memory is limited, unnamed, unorganized, and uses up a
very scarce resource.

> The OS has no way of knowing whether an application wants its shared
> memory segments to survive after it terminates.

That's unfortunate.  That's one of the reasons I try to stay away from
SysV IPC.  I don't like to have to reboot.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/