In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Kris Kennaway
writes:
: On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
: > A better work around is cd lib/libc and do a make install.
:
: I'm pretty sure I tried that - I can't remember if it screwed me up
: (signal 12 errors) or just didn't work.

Odd.  I actually tried it myself not to long ago and it worked great.

: Sounds like a bug. However, IMO people should be building GENERIC as their
: first 4.0 kernel, because all the config file changes mean they won't be
: able to just use their old one, and chances are they might screw up and
: miss out something important and then blame it on 4.0 instead of their own
: ignorance. If we get them booting with GENERIC and prove they can (which
: is what the buildkernel target does by default), then it's more obviously
: user error when the next kernel they build doesn't work (plus, they
: have a working 4.0 kernel to fall back on, namely kernel.old :-)

Hmmm, I'll have to think about this...

Warner