On Feb 22, 2011, at 7:41 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Devin Teske <dte...@vicor.com> wrote:

>>> When that does come, it will probably be driven by BIOS and hardware
>>> vendors dropping support for MBR.  Current disks are at the upper
>>> limit of what MBR can be support (and that's after several revamps of
>>> MBR).  Since GPT already provides a superior feature set without MBR's
>>> limits, the next step will be to just drop MBR support.  And when it
>>> does come, FreeBSD needs to be ready with an installer that can cope
>>> with non-MBR disks.
>
> While I love a good discussion (and there have been a number of good
> points for either side on here), should we agree to switch the default
> over to bsdinstall, leave sysinstall in (lumps or no lumps), then over
> the period of the next 2~3 major (that amounts to 4~6 years) releases,
> and retire sysinstall to the happy hunting grounds? sysinstall didn't
> take up that much space on the release media I thought, and it might
> be doable to map both sets of media so that sysinstall can work in
> harmony on bsdinstall's release media?
>
> Preparing custom releases to use the sysinstall init_path isn't that
> bad, so it would at least give the legacy folks time to transition
> over while us guinea pigs burn in the new wax :)...
>
> Sound good?

Love it. Absolutely love it. You are a uniter, sir (tips hat)!

--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> CONTACT INFORMATION <-
Business Solutions Consultant II
FIS - fisglobal.com
510-735-5650 Mobile
510-621-2038 Office
510-621-2020 Office Fax
909-477-4578 Home/Fax
devin.te...@fisglobal.com

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> END TRANSMISSION <-