On 03/29/2012 14:58, David Wolfskill wrote:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 02:50:00PM -0500, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
However, if you always want to use tmpfs instead of stable storage,
please do not.  Some people expect /tmp to be persistent.  This is why
/etc/defaults/rc.conf has clear_tmp_enable="NO".  Changing this would
break the POLA.

Errr... I'm not sure why folks might have that misguided expectation;

Because that's how the default installation has behaved for a long time. I'm not saying this expectation is /wise/; I'm just saying some people have formed that expectation by observing the behavior of the default system, and they would be astonished by this change.

from hier(7):

      /tmp/      temporary files that are not guaranteed to persist across sys-
                 tem reboots

Foplks are welcome to do whatever they wish with their own machines,
but the FreeBSD default is as above.

Respectfully, no. The default is to store /tmp in UFS, either in its own partition (with Auto Defaults) or in / (if no partition was created for it), and to refrain from clearing it at boot. Thus, although /tmp is not guaranteed to persist in theory, it is rather persistent in practice.

My only point is: carefully consider the change in behavior of the default installation before breaking the POLA.

Eric