:
:There's a paper that describes how Solaris transitioned from spl()s
:to mutexes.  ISTR they created one mutex for each splxxx.  I'll have
:to find this and re-read it.
:
:--
:Dan Eischen

    I think we're using a slightly different mechanism... our spl*()'s
    are actually interrupt bit masks.  That is, any single spl*() call
    may mask several interrupt sources.   Turning a mask with five or six
    bits set in it into a set of mutexes is a very expensive proposition.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>