On 1/2/2013 1:57 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Robert Huff wrote:

For a full clean install, I believe that bsdinstall should prompt about
installing bootcode around here.  I don't really understand from your
procedure how bsdinstall was used; there might be some edge case where
there is no prompt about bootcode.

    2) Installed off the 9.0 CD, got it up and running, everything was
good.

        Let me elaborate on this:

2) Installed off the 9.0 CD, had a fully bootable system connected to the Internet, everything was good.

I think you should investigate the 'bootcode' subcommand of gpart(8).

        Does the above change things?
It was my expectation "installkernel" would Do The Right Thing with respect to new bootcode, and I am surprised it did not.

        Respectfully,

                        Robert Huff