:Good call.
:
:Ugh, I should think about this more, but i'll just grasp at straws
:and suggest that p_pptr is set to volatile variable, and we re-read
:it after we snarf the pid from the pointer and make sure it hasn't
:changed out from under us.
:
:Either that or store it in the child's proc struct as well.
:
:--
:-Alfred Perlstein - [[EMAIL PROTECTED]|[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

    Re-reading is still somewhat dangerous due to the non-deterministic
    nature of the possible changes, whereas with monotonically increasing
    timers re-reading can be made to work in an SMP-safe fashion.

    In general it isn't worth getting that convoluted.  I think the MP-safe
    code can make certain assumptions about the consistency of curproc,
    but outside of that we have to be very very careful.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>