On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :The version of Linux kernel source that I have uses the first:
> :
> :asmlinkage long sys_getppid(void)
> :{
> :     int pid;
> :     struct task_struct * me = current;
> :     struct task_struct * parent;
> :
> :     parent = me->p_opptr;
> :     for (;;) {
> :             pid = parent->pid;
> :#if __SMP__
> :{
> :             struct task_struct *old = parent;
> :             mb();
> :             parent = me->p_opptr;
> :             if (old != parent)
> :                     continue;
> :}
> :#endif
> :             break;
> :     }
> :     return pid;
> :}
> :
> :I like it.  mb() is most certainly a "memory barrier" inline to
> :force ordering constraints.  interesting how they don't use
> :volatile for the pointer though:
>
>     mb() just prevents the compiler from optimizing access to the
>     structural fields (otherwise it might move the accesses outside
>     the for() loop and you would get an infinite loop.  From the
>     compiler's point of view, mb() is a subroutine call (I assume
>     in the headers it's a volatile __asm).
>
>     We can either use an mb() type of thing, or we can declare the structural
>     field volatile, or we can cast the access to be volatile.

It also forces the cpu to drain writes and prevents reads from being
re-ordered before the mb(). This is mainly a hint for alpha processors but
I think it is relavent to other architectures.

--
Doug Rabson                             Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nonlinear Systems Ltd.                  Phone: +44 181 442 9037