On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Christopher Masto wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 05:56:22PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> >
> > > Are there any plans to merge perl-5.6.0 into current?  I don't have any
> > > plans for using it currently, but I curious.
> >
> > Hmm.  What with the nightmarish build structure of perl, I'm sure that
> > reading this is just going to wreck Mark's day.  In light of that, and in
> > the absence of both any real software that needs the upgrade, and
> > lack of confidence in a really squeaky new release, why don't we all grant
> > Mark a little slack on this, at least for a while.
>
> I've been running Perl 5 since before it was included with FreeBSD, and
> I've never noticed anything nightmarish about the build process.  I
> tried 5.6 a couple of days ago, and it built and tested out of the
> box.

It's the way that perl builds itself.  Isn't perl the only thing we build
that *doesn't* use make alone to guide the build process?  Isn't perl the
only thing in the tree that uses itself to build it's manpages?

Have you looked at the make files for perl, say the one in
gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl?  It works *real* slickly, but it sure wouldn't have
been easy to piece together.  Maybe you misinterpreted what I said to mean
"the build is screwed up".  I think the job done was great, but I wouldn't
want to get the job of modifying it, say moving it's local library
location.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.