(cc-list pruned)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 09:24:06AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

<snip>

> My stupid question, though, is why is this such a big issue?  Would it be
> too hard to extend our /usr/src build process so that it is smart enough
> to do an install out of ports, and just build the ports version of 5.6.0,
> vs trying to integrate it into our build tree?  Create a symlink to
> /usr/ports/devel/perl560 so that when it cd's to the perl directory and
> does a 'make', it builds that?

Take a look at perl's build process.  After you are done, take a look at how
Mark M. mangled it to make it fit nicely into FreeBSD's buildworld process.
After your eyes uncross, you'll understand why no one is falling all over
themselves to tackle the issue.  It's not trivial.

Parts of the core OS depend on perl.  Making those parts depend on a port is
unacceptable.  Importing a new version of perl, ESPECIALLY a version which is
not 100% backwards compatible with the one currently in the tree is a delicate
process.  Unfortunately, perl's build process makes it much harder than it
should.

If you need the new functionality, install the port.  I have every
confidence that perl 5.6.x will eventually be imported into the tree.  Now is
a bit too soon though.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville