On Nov 6, 2013, at 4:01 PM, Glen Barber wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 11:53:28PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
>>> And if we need to change something with the infrastructure, we now have
>>> to tell people that this was done.  You are putting hard-coded
>>> limitations on us.  Don't.
>>>

>> I disagree.
>>
>> You're making the argument for "what if a CDN goes away".
>>

> No, you are thinking about it backwards.
>
> If a node goes down (there is no "CDN"), we take it out of DNS.
> A single entry, removed from the pkg.FreeBSD.org SRV record.  We do not
> have to redirect anything, we do not have to update various
> configuration files in various places in the tree.

Please help me to understand why on Earth you think:

"[I am] putting hard-coded limitations on [you]"

The facts:

1. The DNS names I am talking about:
1.a. pkg.f.o
1.b. pkg.eu.f.o
2. Do not resolve to an A or AAAA record

So what hard-coding are you talking about?

You talk about how "if a node goes down we take it out of DNS"
but that has absolutely nothing to do with me because I'm not
putting A/AAAA-resolving names in the menu.

You do realize don't you that pkg.eu.f.o is a locale-specific name
that will eventually hold potentially many-more European server
names, right?

You do realize that the actual European server is *NOT* pkg.eu,
right?

You do realize that while the name pkg.f.o may wholly encompass
all the mirrors, that this will not always be true, right?

I have no idea what you're talking about with the updating of config
files.

The only reason you would ever have to update a config file is if
pkg.eu.f.o went away, but ...

Now I will repeat...

pkg.eu.f.o is NOT A REAL SERVER

It is a name, that resolves to the SRV record of the European server.

That being said... that name should not go away unless we no longer
have even one single server in Europe.

Oh, and by the way...

The name "pkg.f.o" does *NOT* resolve to "pkg.eu"... pkg.eu is a sibling
name that is disassociated -- it was actually *designed* to be used for
this.
--
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all
copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and
(iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any
message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons
other than the intended recipient. Thank you.