On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Philipp Ost wrote:

Warren Block schrieb:
[...]
ie either the file is named such that it is ignored by cron
(preferable IMO) or the entries in them are commented out.

Why not just use an additional entry in rc.conf?

rsnapshot_cron="YES"

(If there is a /usr/local/etc/cron.d/rsnapshot, add it to cron on
start/restart.)

This brings up another problem.  When a port is removed, what is done
with ports cron entries that have been user modified?  Normally,
modified files would not be removed, but a cron entry for a removed port
definitely should not be running any more, even if the admin forgot to
remove the entry in rc.conf.  But just removing the modified file is bad
also, because maybe the port was just removed as part of an upgrade.

Given the above scenario, would it be acceptable to set the entry in rc.conf, $portname_cron=YES, to $portname_cron=NO without touching the modified files and inform the user about having done so?

I would not want the system modifying rc.conf for me, but don't have a
better idea at present.  Maybe move customized cronfiles to an "old"
folder on deinstall, so at least the user could recover them.