On 12/21/2013 1:05 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:
On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 02:54:39PM -0600, Greg Rivers wrote:
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, Steve Kargl wrote:

It did not ask how to stop this stupidity.  I asked to have this
stupidity stopped by default.  The spewing of this information in
/var/log/messages provides NOTHING.  Please turn it off by default.

Do you really feel that strongly about it?  Having a record of changes to
the system has always seemed like a feature to me...

Yes, I do feel strongly about it.  It is completely unnecesary noise.
It should be off by default.  If someone wants to fill /var up with
useless information, then that someone can turn on the noise.

It's about what's safe in the common case. There are significant security risks inherent in pkg's activities, so having a written external record is the safe option.

I don't buy the "fill up /var" argument. If your /var is so small that pkg's logging risks filling it up, why are you not logging to an external syslog server? There are much more voluminous sources of logs on a FreeBSD system.