Am Thu, 12 Jun 2014 22:37:59 +0100
"Steven Hartland" <> schrieb:

> I've nevery used this but Error 13 is permission denied in errno.h
> so I've guessing something has messed with some permissions possibly
> a file permission there somewhere?
> If its not obvious, the you could try run it under truss to see what
> is returning error 13.
>     Regards
>     Steve
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "O. Hartmann" <>
> After updating ports yesterday with all this ICU update horror today
> slapd rejects to start out of the blue after months of working like a
> charm:
> [...]
> 5399feba slapd startup: initiated.
> 5399feba backend_startup_one: starting "cn=config"
> 5399feba config_back_db_open
> 5399feba send_ldap_result: conn=-1 op=0 p=0
> 5399feba backend_startup_one: starting "dc=dumami"
> 5399feba mdb_db_open: database "dc=dumami":
> dbenv_open(/var/db/openldap-data/). 5399feba mdb_db_open: database
> "dc=dumami" cannot be opened, err 13. Restore from
> backup! 5399feba backend_startup_one (type=mdb,
> suffix="dc=dumami"): bi_db_open failed! (13) 5399feba
> slapd shutdown: initiated 5399feba slapd destroy: freeing system
> resources. 5399feba syncinfo_free: rid=001 5399feba syncinfo_free:
> rid=003 5399feba slapd stopped.
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd: WARNING: failed to start slapd
> According to that useless "suggestion" to restore from backup, I
> restored the configuration and the users from backups. slapadd works
> fine. But then starting the server fails again.
> Via "portmaster -f openldap24-server" I tried to rebuild all ports
> necessary for that fragile OpenLDAP thing, but still no success. I can
> not find any hints in the log (using -d1 or -d257 starting slapd)
> except the failure shown above. Since the very same configuration and
> dataset worked for months now and even after the massive icu-related
> update of ports yesterday (ended by restarting slapd), I wouldn't
> expect any usefull hint.
> Can anybody offer suggestions, please? I'm out of ideas. I find it very
> strange.
> Regards,
> Oliver


several things went terribly wrong and they got still a amplification as my 
panic level
rose up.

First: after the update of several ports and the recompilation of
openldap24-server/client (I recompiled them without the problems these days , 
too), slapd
seemed to have complained about several issues with the DIT configuration. 
After I
switched from HDB to MDB, I edited the config LDIFs manually. Somehow I made 
mistakes. They have been fixed by now.

Second: fiddling arounf with slapcat/slapadd changes ownership of the config 
files and so
of the database file in /var/db which reflects the ID of the creator - which 
is/was root
and not expected user ldap. That triggered the error 13 as reported.

Because I oversaw one error message type over the other when "fixing' one 
problem and the
other still persisted, I didn't realise what was going on! The problem was 
manifold and

I fixed the syntax problems regarding the HDB <-> MDB problemacy and so I fixed 
owndership. now everything works fine as expected.

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to