Kevin Lo wrote, On 07/03/2014 05:33:
On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:27:07AM +0200, wrote:
But now, eat this:

Well, I'm going to close that PR. :-)
Let me know if that works for you, thanks.

Yes, that did work. When I'll have more time and resources, I'll try to find
out why/what didn't work at the time of the IRC conversation. It is possible
that Windows was using something like UTF-16, but I tested only UTF-8 -- though
the apparent unavailability of any UTF-16 locale on my system indicates that
base FreeBSD installations are not able to properly mount commonly-used FAT32
partitions (think about flash drives).

Another "next step" is to find out whether a regular user can set a locale
environment variable and then create a file that system utilities -- which have one
pre-set locale -- (think about disk space usage quota enforcers) won't handle well.