On 09/23/14 08:04, Allan Jude wrote:
On 2014-09-23 02:13, Kurt Lidl wrote:
I downloaded the 10.1-BETA disc1 iso image for
sparc64, and burned it to media. I then used that
media to attempt an installation onto a spare
sparc64 machine that I have.

Using UFS as the filesystem, and more or less just
following the prompts, the system got installed OK,
and boots off of ZFS OK.

I then reinstalled onto a system that I manually
configured for ZFS.  This installation fails to boot
from the hard disk, dying like this:

---- snip, snip ----
ok reset
Res
LOM event: +487d+12h37m31s host reset
etting ...

?
Sun Fire V120 (UltraSPARC-IIe 648MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 4.0, 4096 MB memory installed, Serial #53476432.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:2f:fc:50, Host ID: 832ffc50.

Boot device: disk0  File and args:
FreeBSD/sparc64 ZFS boot block
    Boot path:   /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/disk@0,0:a
Consoles: Open Firmware console
Memory Address not Aligned
ok

---- snip, snip ----

I have used my exact procedure in the past to install onto a ZFS
only sparc without issue.

Has anyone else tried booting a ZFS only sparc64 installation
recently?

-Kurt

If you have the entire drive to spare, have you tried the 'ZFS auto
mode' script that Devin and I wrote? It is the bottom option in the
installer partitioning menu.

Allan, that script doesn't work on sparc since it doesn't know about VTOC8 and can only install to GPT and MBR. As committed, the menu item is also disabled on anything other than i386 and amd64. The partition editor in -CURRENT likely works, since it is based on code Kurt submitted, but is untested on sparc since his original patch.

I think the more likely issue is that the boot blocks have bitrotted somehow on SPARC. That's certainly consistent with the "Memory Address not Aligned" error.
-Nathan