On Sun, 7 May 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> Since there's a sysctl you can use to turn the former off, perhaps it
> would have been smart to take a few seconds to narrow it down?

Those changes wouldn't have affected ICMP, but we tried that anyway.
The problem was that the code changed the expression ~sum & 0xffff
to sum == 0xffff ? sum : ~sum & 0xffff.  I had just found and fixed
this locally when I noticed Paul Saab committed the same functional
fix.

Well, it's nice to know that we can get multiple people finding the
problem as soon as the symptoms of the breakage are known :)