>On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:24:25PM -0400, Adam wrote:
>> I cant comment on the complexity of registering a port as an installed
>> package because I havent read the code, but it doesnt look too complex
>> according to whats in /var/db/pkg... perhaps more makefile things could
>> be done to register a package.  I am seeing +COMMENT        +CONTENTS
>> +DESC in a simple port dir, and if it depends on other things,
>> +REQUIRED_BY... thinking optimistically that this stuff could be
>> acheived with simple commands like echo myport >>
>> /var/db/foo/+REQUIRED_BY, and maybe grep to help with removing things
>> from REQ...
>
>PLEASE get a CLUE about pkg_* and ports BEFORE commenting further.
>-- David    ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Good suggestion.  Did some reading in bsd.port.mk and came up with the
basis for a hack to get a port installed without pkg_*.  If only total
elegant solutions are entertained here then I will say no further, but
here goes:

 cd /usr/ports/foo/pkg_create
 make NO_PKG_REGISTER install
 (pkg_create gets installed but not recorded)

     Since you claim superior knowledge about ports than me, I wont bother
explaining it.  I'm only trying to satisfy your original question.

" IF the pkg_* utils were
 ports, how would you install them??"