On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 11:46:41PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> hi,
> i am a bit in trouble with a june 4th snap of -current.
>
> I have successfully installed it, and even compiled and
> installed a kernel using the GENERIC config.
> However when i try to remove devices from there,
> with high probability i end up in a panic while booting,
> generally in loader_preload() which tries to dereference
> a null pointer.
>
> I cannot really track down what is going on -- the loader shows
> something like
>
>         module miibus
>         module usb
>         module splash
>
> and if i remove any usb device, or something ethernet using the mii
> bus, or (it seems) even some scsi device, it panics.

I've seen something similar on Alpha when I removed the dc driver
(leaving xl and miibus in). Removing dc and config / make depend /
make /make install / reboot left me with a crashing alpha box.
It only got as far as the loader printing a few lines on loading modules.
And then a 'kernel stack not valid, HALT' line.

Doing config -r on the same kernel config file worked OK.

> Is this a bug or a feature ? Should i just keep all the pieces
> in GENERIC and add my options there ?

I don't pretend to understand this..

--
Wilko Bulte     FreeBSD, the power to serve     http://www.freebsd.org