On 11/02/2016 19:17, Julian Elischer wrote:
On 26/10/2016 2:27 AM, Eivind Nicolay Evensen wrote:
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 03:38:04PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
hi,

For long we are planning to remove GNU rcs from base, after a failed attempt before FreeBSD 10.0. Let see where we are to be able to remove it from FreeBSD
12.

why should we remove it?
What will replace it?  it's an integral part of many people's systems.

Is there a non gnu RCS with the same features?

surprised to hear so many people are dependent upon having rcs in their base system. there are options though - for example OpenBSD uses OpenRCS in their base:

http://man.openbsd.org/rcs.1

its not strictly GNU compliant as I believe it adheres to the original implementation (which frankly is probably a good thing imho). GNU RCS is also available via ports/pkgs as well.

If people are adamant about preserving a rcs binary in base though this seems like a great opportunity to step up and help import/support OpenRCS.

just my two bits - hope it helps.

-pete