On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 11:47 AM Gleb Popov <arr...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 2:28 PM Dima Pasechnik <dimpase+free...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Core@ statements always welcome.
>> >
>> > But Code of Conduct committee merit no automatic credence since:
>> >
>> >   Code of Conduct aims were cloned from an ultra feminist group of
>> >   non FreeBSD members, part paid by foundation, then shoved on
>> >   FreeBSD before discussion, by a voluble few in FreeBSD
>>
>> The present matter has nothing to do with feminism.
>

> I don't see who states that.
>
>> Anyway, as someone
>> who has been chased upon by a gang of youths screaming "zhidovskaya
>> morda" ("Jewish snout") (Moscow, USSR, circa 1975, tough
>> neighbourhood, and well, I have a Jewish grandmother) I absolutely do
>> not appreciate the sort of thoughtless "freedom of speech" blah blah,
>> as far as expressions of hate towards particular ethnic groups are .
>

> Just wondering how old were you and "haters" were. In my childhood I was
> laughed on because having too big ears, another girl - because she was fat,
> and another guy - because his dad was an alcoholic. I'd argue that being
> bulled by "jewish snout" words instead of "fatty" puts you in some special
> position amongst these people and me.
> Yes, the phenomenom is bad in its nature, but it is also so common and
> insignificant, that IMO it doesn't serve all that fuss.

My CV may be found online at the link after the signature - I am 56
y.o., and I did experience a fair share of state-amplified and
condoned antisemitism back in USSR (apart from this incident). There
was no state-condoned hate of people with big ears or excessive
weight, and this does make quite some difference.

As to "it is also so common" --- this is the 1st time in more than 27
years, since I left Moscow, that this topic interferes with my
work. While it might be "so common" to you, it does not remove the
hate from the hate speech it is.

>> Because they always incite violence.
>> And yes, in USSR persons with ethnically Jewish parents had "Jew"
>> written in their internal IDs (just like in Nazi Germany). Under this
>> commonly accepted definition, saying "I hate Jews", as Mr. Kamp did on
>> twitter, is full-blown racism,
>

> I'd like to hear how it is "commonly accepted". I don't remember accepting
> anything related.

Are you trying to tell us that "5th paragraph", ethnicity, never was
present in internal USSR passports?
Of course it was, and on the basis of this I dare to say that my
definition was commonly accepted in the USSR.
And in present days Europe "jew" need not refer to a religious affiliation.
(about 40% of Israeli citizens describe themselves as secular, by the way).

>> and Mr. Kamp ought to offer an apology
>> for this - while he does not do it in
>> http://phk.freebsd.dk/sagas/israel/
>>
>> While in some jurisdictions hate speech is legally protected, it does
>> not take away the hate in hate speech, and people generally don't like
>> being hated. Hate originating from a freebsd.* domain is not good for
>> the project.
>

> freebsd.* domain can be registered by any individual, so hate originating
> from such domains can't (well, shouldn't) affect the project in any way.
> On the contrary, hate originating from *.freebsd.org, it does affect the
> project. Luckily, this is not the case.
>

>> Let me point few things in the  latter:
>>
>> * there is nothing like "the jewish religion" - there is a religion
>> called Judaism, as Mr. Kamp ought to understand before
>> making statements on these. Everyone can convert to Judaism, by the way.
>

> Thanks for valuable information. It is completely off-topic and I doubt
> anyone here have any interest in this.

As Mr. Kamp's blog post is being discussed here, I felt it might be
appropriate to point out why it was an attempt
to whitewash hate speech, rather than an explanation of an innocent
misunderstanding.

Regards,
Dima