On 2019-05-21 07:06, Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:
On 20.05.2019 16:23, Anthony Jenkins wrote:
I'm running (a somewhat dated) FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT (git commit
68c8581f7, Tue. Feb 12 13:01:55 2019) on a UEFI laptop with an Intel
UHD display, booting a ZFS root filesystem (gptzfsboot(8)). I'm trying
to get the console into a lower resolution than the native UHD when
the kernel is booted.
It is possible to increase size of font compiled into kernel. See the
attached patch.

AFAIR  I made it through conversion of x11-fonts/terminus-font to
C-source file with one of /usr/src/tools/tools/vt/ tools

Excellent... I think that will do just nicely! Thanks!
   I can manually do this by breaking into the loader prompt at boot
and entering 'mode 1', then 'boot'. loader.conf(5) says I can run this
command automatically with the 'exec' directive, but the video mode
doesn't change.

$ sudo cat /boot/loader.conf
Password:
autoboot_delay="3"
#boot_single="YES"
boot_verbose="YES"
kern.timecounter.hardware="HPET"
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"
kern.vty="vt"
hw.vga.textmode="1"
efi_max_resolution="1920x1080"
exec="mode 1"

I've also tried using directive 'efi_max_resolution' - same result.
Does 'exec' work on my configuration (UEFI boot, ZFS root), or am I
not using it right?  I've tried putting other loader commands in
'exec' with no effect. Same question for efi_max_resolution.
exec="mode N" works at least for me (UEFI boot, ZFS root, NVidia GTS
250, no KMS)

Bah... trying to avoid debugging it on my end, but looks like I'll have to if I'm the only one experiencing it.

Anthony