On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:58:27PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:

[whole discussion about df -h output snipped]

>       You're ignoring the fact that "Size" is the total physical size
> of the device, while "Used", "Avail", and "Capacity" take into
> account the 10% (or whatever) overhead that is typically left
> unallocated for performance reasons.

Maybe this isn't the right list to ask, but stepping into this:
I bought a 30G drive recently, and I was wondering if the 10% 'rule'
for performance is still really needed. I mean, I lose 3 _gigs_ of
storage space, and otherwise the performance detoriates? That
doesn't make sense to me.

I am running now with reserved set to 2% (on my /home, not on smaller
/ & /usr of course) and haven't noticed anything of performance loss;
of course I haven't managed to fill that ~27G in the short time I have
this setup ;)

Which also leads me to the question: is it desirable, given those large
disks, to have a finer grain of control over reserved space, for example
setting reserved space to 2.5% or whatever? Or can this be done already?

In the hopes that someone can enlighten me...

--Stijn