On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> The big win with a journaling FS is when you have to reboot the system.
>
> With Softupdates, you still have to fsck. On a large FS (say half a
> terabyte) that can take hours.

No you don't. Your filesystem will be in a consistent state except for
blocks which are marked used but are not, so you can fsck in the
background at the expense of not having all of your free space available
at startup.

Having said that, I don't know that this procedure has been well tested in
practise, so you're advised to use caution when testing it :-)

Kris

    -- Charles Forsythe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>