Quoting Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> (from Wed, 9 Nov 2022 13:56:43 -0700):

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 1:54 PM Patrick M. Hausen <p...@hausen.com> wrote:

Hi Warner,

> Am 09.11.2022 um 21:51 schrieb Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com>:
> Yes. For safety, boot loader upgrade is mandatory when you do a zpool
upgrade of the root filesystem.
> It was definitely needed in the OpenZFS jump, and we've had one or two
other flag days since.

That's a given and not a problem. What I fear from my understanding of
this thread so far is
that there might be a situation when I upgrade the zpool and the boot
loader and the system
ends up unbootable nonetheless.

Possible or not?

If all you do is upgrade, then no, modulo bugs that we've thankfully not
had yet. It's when you enable something on the zpool that you can run into
trouble, but that's true independent of upgrade :)

Attention, "upgrade" is overloaded here. "OS upgrade" will not render the pool unbootable (modulo bugs), but "zpool upgrade rpool" will (except we have provisions that zpool upgrade doesn't enable all features in case the bootfs property is set).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF