Quoting "Patrick M. Hausen" <p...@hausen.com> (from Wed, 9 Nov 2022 22:11:29 +0100):

Hi,

Am 09.11.2022 um 22:05 schrieb Alexander Leidinger <alexan...@leidinger.net>: Attention, "upgrade" is overloaded here. "OS upgrade" will not render the pool unbootable (modulo bugs), but "zpool upgrade rpool" will (except we have provisions that zpool upgrade doesn't enable all features in case the bootfs property is set).

And we are back at the start. The "problem" is that I really like consistency.
So when "zpool status" throws that ominous message at me - any you have
to admit that it is phrased like a warning - I want simply to get rid of that.
After a reasonable after-update grace period.

But during our discussion I have come to wonder:

- I upgrade from 13.0 to 13.1, I do a "zpool upgrade" afterwards, I also upgrade the boot loader

- I install 13.1 with ZFS

What is the difference? Shouldn't these two imaginary systems be absolutely the same in terms
of ZFS features, boot loader, and all that?

On quick look I haven't found a place where a compatibility setting is used for the rpool during the creation, so I can't point out what the exact difference is. Given that empty_bpobj is not in the list of the boot code, it can't be the same, some limit of enabled features has to be in place during initial install, and your example has to be different.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF